Sunday, June 21, 2015

(Liver) Healing From the Core





Do all these veggies make you wonder, whatz cookin’? Well in this case it’s my dog’s food. Wait, wait. Keep reading, I’m not an over- the-top pet owner…what I am is a concerned person whose small dog has liver damage. I have heard that it is not uncommon for small dogs here in Honduras to have liver problems ...they are generally put to sleep. According to the research I’ve been doing on the subject, liver damage is a common condition EVERYWHERE regardless of size so I’m sharing what I’ve learned to help others.

 Our awareness of this problem came after our dog, Magna, dislocated her leg running from a 4 legged bully. This event began a series of visits to the vet, multiple medications for inflammation and pain, as well as having to anesthetize her twice within hours; once to be  x-rayed and a second time to reset her joint. These details are not to solicit sympathy for our gal but to paint a picture for you of the amount of chemicals this small (20 lb.) dog’s liver had to process on top of 5 years of worming, rabies shots, flea shampoos not counting any influence from commercially prepared snacks or foods she may have eaten.  
 

The 4 month process was pretty traumatic for all of us and was telling me that there was  something that we were not finding.  Magna had been tightly bound for a week. Yet, when the bindings came off she was still limping. A boil began growing on the toe of the damaged leg. That’s what led to finding that her ligament had been torn. During this time Magna had also vomited yellow foam twice and she had no appetite. At this point my husband and I decided to see if time and home care would allow her to heal rather than go through the veterinary process again.  



I am an Am. Expat living in the under developed country of Honduras. Small animal vets and diagnostic equipment for small animals are limited. I began to research some of the symptoms I had been noticing. Her stools had an orange color to them. There was the yellow vomit to research.  As a naturopath I am aware of meridians of energy taught in Chinese Medicine and applied that knowledge to the appearance of the boil that was growing larger on the toe. All of these were indicators of liver damage. It only made sense that the leg could not heal if the immune system was compromised. Knowing that Green Foods heal, we began a food program which included liquid Chlorophyll and avocado. Almost anything she ate had to be liquefied . 

There was an overnight improvement. She using the foot with more confidence.  Yet, experience had taught me that when there is an emotional investment in a problem our natural logic can become distorted.  I remembered that animals are much more sensitive to herbs and oils than people are. I needed advice from a holistic vet. I found Five Leaf Pet Pharmacy online.  They have nutritional/herbal programs for many diseases including liver damage. Their liver program made sense to me from an herbal and nutritional standpoint. Herbs for cleansing and healing, high amounts of plant based foods and green food supplements. It was the same principle I was applying in using the Purium Detox Program to heal a tooth infection.
 
Our living outside the US requires patience or creativity when having items being delivered to our door. For that reason I decided to adapt the Five Leaf food program to the herbs we had on hand. I used red clover and yellow dock , then cornsilk for kidneys,  EPA oils and Green Zone powdered food product from Nature’s Sunshine. The Green Zone is one that I suggest in many of my healing programs.


 Within days Magna was using all four feet equally. She is back to swimming and moderate running.  She will still favor her foot  when she is fatigued or stressed but after 4 months of distress it is wonderful watching her return to normal.

 
Visit me at: www.MalanaAshlie.com
 http://canineliverhealth.org/
www.mypurium.com/malana

 

5 comments :

Kathy said...

That is truly awesome. Magna is blessed to have a naturopathic doctor for a mama. You had to be creative living in Honduras, but found solutions that worked!

Jane Carroll said...

So glad you listened to the symptoms and that your baby is getting better!

Unknown said...

Thank you Kathy and Jane. I appreciate your support and input. It was a challenging 4 months...one of life's amazing lessons...and much better seen in retrospect with its happy ending. ~Malana

Anonymous said...

Ah, great, I found it. My first comment was about my 4 dogs, Sam, Maxx, Rex and Ashley. I had commented how they got an allergic reaction to their dry dog-food, I kept changing the brands,(all made in U.S.), but they were still scratching and making sores. I finally put engine oil on their coats and the itching stopped and the sores healed. I also don't allow them outside the gate/contact with neighborhood canines where the mange may have come from. My Vet had given many injections for mange but to not avail, they were expensive too. They are all fine now with no scratching.

William Lynch said...

I had commented how they got an allergic reaction to their dry dog-food, I kept changing the brands,(all made in U.S.), but they were still scratching and making sores. I finally put engine oil on their coats and the itching stopped and the sores healed. I also don't allow them outside the gate/contact with neighborhood canines where the mange may have come from. My Vet had given many injections for mange but to not avail, they were expensive too. They are all fine now with no scratching.